Looking at you.

Every morning I get up, shower, and get ready for the day. Whatever is on my schedule that day, it's the same ole thing. I must look in the mirror like every day and hate what I see. Take for example yesterday, I must have redone my makeup like twice yesterday trying to cover up my dark circles and bags. I was running late and just said, "F*** it! I'll just be the scarecrow for the day." Turns out that my view was all in my head. I must have been complimented a small handful of times. I guess I really didn't look as bad as I thought, which is what leads me to this post. Don't worry, this post isn't about how I look, but about we look.

Dove (yes the soap people) created an experiment on how we see ourselves vs. how others see us. Dove hired a retire San Jose Forensic artist to sketch behind participants descriptions of themselves. The forensic artist and the  participant were being separated by a curtain and through out the entire experiment, they weren't allowed to see each other. The sketch was hidden from the participant until the end of the experiment.The second portion of the experiment, participants were asked to get to know one of the other participants and then describe what their partner looked like to the forensic artist. Basically the same deal but this time describing the other person.

At the end of the experiment, participants were shown the sketches individually and were asked to describe how they felt about both sketches. Their reactions were astonishing. Take a look:


In the end, it's not our flaws that make an impression, but it's the beauty that we do have.